Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-hang - Tree Companies

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-hang - Tree Companies
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:54:21 -0500

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/14/2005 5:01:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>

>> Good idea . . . but how do I verify that the tree man has  insurance?
>

>     First, ask them. It wouldn't hurt for them to  show you some
> documentation if you don't feel warm and fuzzy with their  response.
>

>> What kind of insurance should I look for? How much  coverage?
>

>     What you're trying to do is to establish if the  guy is a real contractor
> or not. State licensed contractors generally have to  carry liability
> insurance and bonding. In Washington state you need $300k of  liability
> insurance to
> get a contractor's license.
>
>     The whole point of this is to make sure that if  something happens,
> YOU'RE protected. With a few exceptions, guys doing  ham tower work DO NOT
> have any
> insurance and there is a huge risk exposure  because of that. The implication
> is that I'm sure that there are arborists  without insurance as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> TOWER TECH -
> an insured tower contractor
> Cell: 206-890-4188

What you really want the guy to have is WORKMAN'S COMP insurance. If he
gets hurt doing a job on your property you could be liable for his
medical expenses and his lost wages. Whether he is a contractor or not.
This can sometimes extend for the rest of his life if he is disabled
because of the accident.

In Florida an officer or owner of the company can file an exemption for
workman's comp and not carry it. But he needs to have filed the
exemption and have the certificate and present it to you for you to be
off the hook. Just saying he is exempt is not enough. He can not file an
exemption for any employee of his. They must be covered.

73
Gary  K4FMX