Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antennas

To: "'David J Windisch'" <davidjw@cinci.rr.com>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antennas
From: "Bill Eisinger" <eisinger@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:22:45 -0700
Hi Dave-

I have the M2 "Skip Log" and have really come to like it.  As an LP, it is
obviously a compromise antenna when compared to other frequency-specific
large arrays. However, if you consider the fact that you have 7-30 Mhz
coverage on a single boom then, in my book it's pretty hard to beat as a
general ham antenna.

It is a battleship of an antenna.  Like most M2 products it is very well
constructed.  Mine has been up for about 6 years now and is still doing fine
mechanically.  It is a pretty complicated antenna to assemble and the
instructions leave a little to be desired but all in all, it went together
very well.  M2 has outstanding support if questions need to be answered or
parts to be ordered.

How well it performs for you obviously depends upon what you want to do.  I
have mine at 70' and have worked 250+ countries on 40-10 each and a few less
on the WARC bands with a total country count of 323...not quite Honor Role
but getting close.  If you work CW, this antenna is killer on 30m simply
because most folks on that band don't have sophisticated antennas...you'll
always break the pileup on 30m!  40m performance is lacking as compared to
specifically designed antennas (especially the MAG 240N)...it does exhibit a
small amount of gain but 40m will not be it's strong suit.  F/B on 40m is
almost nil (I think it is spec'd at 6 db) but, for my location it hasn't
been a problem.

When I was doing my evaluation of what type of system to put up I boiled it
down pretty much to consideration of the frequency coverage and number of
booms (in this case only 1) and it wins hands down.  I'm a somewhat serious
DXer and a very casual contester...I recognize that other configurations
might be better for the elite-class guys but for me it has been a great
choice.

73's,
Bill, AA7X