Re: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin Voyager Hazer

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Bill Winkis" <kc4pe@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin Voyager Hazer
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:08:26 -0800
At 08:43 AM 12/22/2005, Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) wrote:
> > Glen Martin informed me today that they no longer offer the
> > antenna raising hazer for the 45G tower.....
> >
> > It was called the "Voyager Hazer"
> >

> > The Voyager Hazer is a tower accessory designed to elevate
> > antennas up and down the outside of a tower. A separate set of
> > aluminum track is bolted to the face of the tower. Four sets of
>
>I'm not surprised.  The price of the tracks was astronomical,
>not to mention the price of the Hazer itself.  By the time you
>got done, you could have bought a crank up tower.  It would be
>interesting to see what it would cost to homebrew it with steel
>channel for rails.

You can buy (from McMaster Carr or Grainger, for example) all manner of
nifty wheels and carriages designed to slide or roll along standard
structural shapes (channels and I beams).  Those shapes are available in
steel, aluminum, fiberglass, and probably any other material you care to
name (e.g. Invar, for the amateur interested in dimensional stability, or
Hastelloy, if you're worried about sulfuric acid corrosion).

Your friendly local ag supply will probably also have tracks and rollers
for sliding barn doors that could be "repurposed" to a vertical application.

For a smooth running high load capacity setup, you can use arrangements of
ballbearing skateboard wheels running on pipe (this is used in the film
industry for smooth camera dollies).  Three wheels in a triangle grip the
pipe, for a single rail, or, if you've got two rails, you can use 4 wheels,
2 on each pipe.  The pipe can be either regular old black iron, galvanized
steel (fence posts?), or aluminum tubing.