[TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?

To: "TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?
From: "Les Kalmus" <w2lk@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:15:28 -0500
Hi TTians,

In a few months I will be starting construction on a new house which will be
located on top of a hill on a adjacent piece of property. My HDX589 is
currently installed on the manufacturer's recommended base of 5x5x8.5 feet
of concrete with rebar.

Test holes in the vicinity of the new house have revealed between 16 and 40
inches of soil on top of the rock the hill is made of. A blasting contractor
has told me that the stone is very strong and stable and he will not have
any problems blasting for the house basement and foundation.

I won't be able to dig another hole and use the same method as the current
location. Instead, I have been told there are bolts or rods that can be set
into holes drilled into the stone and epoxied in place which can support the
tower.

I will probably need an engineer but don't know where to begin to find one
familiar with this type of work or what alternatives exist. Anyone familiar
with this technique or alternative method who can steer me in the right
direction? Any particulars I need to provide to him/her that I need to
research in advance?

I am located between New Paltz and Kingston, NY.

Thanks.

73, Les W2LK