Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:35:57 +0000
Steve wrote:
>    You can rent a rock corer to drill the  appropriate holes for the
>factory anchor bolts - or have someone come out and  do it - and then
>you can epoxy them in or use rock expansion bolts - or  both. It'll be
>real strong.

"Or both"... interesting idea - has anybody here used it?

On a smaller scale - five posts for verticals, rather than a tower -
I'll soon have 20 of these anchors to put in, so would welcome any and
all suggestions.

It's impossible to dig post-holes here. We tried a little harder with a
backhoe, but at all five locations it hit solid rock only a few inches
down. The best it could manage was five shallow scrapes, so I'll now
have to level each of these back up to grade with concrete, and then use
bolt-down sockets for the wooden posts. My plan had been to drill
half-inch holes right through the concrete and some way down into the
solid rock, and then use half-inch threaded rods anchored by epoxy (or
similar... whichever kind of resin works best in damp rock).

Does that make sense, to the folks who have used epoxy?

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK