Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w2lk@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:15:37 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2006 3:17:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Hi TTians,

>  In a few months I will be  starting construction on a new house which will
be
located on top of a hill  on a adjacent piece of property. My HDX589 is
currently installed on the  manufacturer's recommended base of 5x5x8.5 feet
of concrete with  rebar.

>  Test holes in the vicinity of the new house have  revealed between 16 and
40
inches of soil on top of the rock the hill is  made of. A blasting contractor
has told me that the stone is very strong  and stable and he will not have
any problems blasting for the house  basement and foundation.

>  I won't be able to dig another hole  and use the same method as the current
location. Instead, I have been told  there are bolts or rods that can be set
into holes drilled into the stone  and epoxied in place which can support the
tower.

>  I will  probably need an engineer but don't know where to begin to find
one
familiar with this type of work or what alternatives exist. Anyone  familiar
with this technique or alternative method who can steer me in the  right
direction? Any particulars I need to provide to him/her that I need  to
research in advance?

    Well, getting an engineer's blessing is always a  good idea. Maybe you
can talk to a couple and get some off-the-record feedback  on what you've got
and what's possible.

    I would be in favor of using the rock as the base  and then you only have
to use a little concrete to get the top of  the base a little above grade.
Why would you dynamite out a bunch of rock  and then fill in the hole with
concrete when the rock by itself would  accomplish the same thing?

    You can rent a rock corer to drill the  appropriate holes for the factory
anchor bolts - or have someone come out and  do it - and then you can epoxy
them in or use rock expansion bolts - or  both. It'll be real strong.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188