Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Antenna Question

To: "mike ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 Antenna Question
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:09:35 -0600
Well, here is my view:  I wanted my new installation to cover 7 bands
with beam antennas.  I opted for the OptiBeam OB17-4 with the Force12
WARC-7 12 feet above the Optibeam.  Seven bands covered with no less
than 2 elements and the only bands with less than full size elements is
40 and 30. And I wanted no traps.  I used a Cushcraft A4S for many years
and got on the SSB Honor Roll with that antenna and had zero problems,
but it is trapped and I was just starting to think I needed a
replacement.

Now, I am not sure if my choice was the correct choice and it was
definitely and expensive choice.  There is an OptiBeam now that has all
7 bands on one antenna - with at least 2 elements on each band - I would
seriously look at that if I were doing it again.

As to your questions about the XR-5 or the Cushcraft duo one advantage
to the Cushcraft duo is the fact that you can add rotatable dipole for
30 and 40 meters and that would then give you 7 bands coverage and I
don't think there is such an option with the XR-5.  The other concern I
would have with the XR-5 is its performance in a windy area?  It appears
that the elements are fairly close together as it is a fairly short
boom. I would then suspect the wind could cause SWR problems.

I am very interested in your responses.  If all else aside I would
choose the Cushcraft duo over the XR-5 (at least I think that is what I
would do).

Gary, N5PHT