Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:06:36 -0500
> I am probably the source of this concern, Mark.

Thanks for the details, Mike.

I think Caltech's (Marty's old) tower trailer needs to be nicknamed "the
tower trailer that wouldn't die."  It's seen some, uh, "action."  ("Abuse?")
I will admit that I never saw 75 MPH when hauling it.  Probably a good
lesson learned.  So I presume the axle got replaced?  Sooner or later it
will be the Darth Vader of all tower trailers, more replacement parts than
original.

But it keeps on ticking.  BTW, all the welds were done by Marty and Wayne
and none of these failures have been the result of a faulty weld.

JC points out the tongue weight - good point from two counts.  First,
originally Marty's trailer had a 4KW commercial Kohler generator on it.
That is gone.  However, the trailer was the same as Wayne's which didn't
have the generator mounted on it.  The generator made that trailer have a
rather heavy tongue weight.  Wayne's was easier to push around and had a
very reasonable tongue weight.  Second, though at rest the tongue weight is
reasonable, under acceleration, my guess is 1000 pounds (not counting the
extra Rohn 25 - yikes) 6 feet above the wheels doesn't do anything for the
tongue weight at that "moment."  Just a guess....

Mark, N5OT