Re: [TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, floundaion question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, floundaion question
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:44:52 -0500

JC:

The forms did take some time to build.

As you can see from the pictures, the pillar was poured first. I am
sure that some of the concrete did squish out the bottom at first
(and this is good), but the viscosity of the concrete was such that
the level outside the forms did not rise much. After the pillar and
perhaps some of the concrete for the pad had been poured,  one crew
member began finish the pillar, while they continued pouring around
the sides to fill in the pad, carefully tamping to remove air
pockets. They continued doing this until the pad was of the required depth.

BTW, we had discussion about using a vibrator or not on this job.
They had one and were willing to use it, but recommended not to do
so, as there was risk of moving the base at the bottom putting things
out-of-level.

73,

Bill
K0KT

>Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:53:52 -0700
>From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, floundaion question
>To: "'William Q Meeker'" <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>,
>         <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
>Bill,
>
>Labor isn't too much of an issue, we are doing it ourselves.  I definitely
>want the 5x5 vs. 9x9 pad in the yard when we are done.  I prefer a single
>pour too, but how did they keep the concrete from "squishing" out the bottom
>and up the outside of the forms?
>
>Thanks,
>JC

William Q. Meeker