Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L questions

To: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L questions
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:22:27 -0400
At 05:57 PM 08/24/2006, Nick Pair wrote:
>I have one suggestion. Use a continuous loop of UV resistant rope
>through the pulley. With a pulley at ground level you can use the
>loop splice point to attach your L or whatever you choose, This way
>if wire breaks you will have a haul down rope all ready to pull the
>antenna attachment point back down. Also you can put whatever you
>choose at ground to take up the tree sway and keep tension on the loop.
>You didn't mention where the end of the horizontal wire is anchored.
>This also needs sway protection and might end up a similar
>arrangement as the main support.

Looks like the loop idea is the winner. As I mentioned off-list to
another kind soul who replied, I'm an ex-apartment dweller (small
city apartments all my adult life) and thus never needed to know
about such things. I'm trying to visualize how to do this. Any online
drawings/photos, etc?

Also, wouldn't a loop of rope get caught up in all the branches
sticking out of the tree, making it very difficult to raise or lower
the insulator and the wire it supports?

As for the far end of the horizontal wire, after the end insulator it
will connect to 3/16" dacron rope, over a marine pulley in a distant
tree, and to a weight of some sort (yet to be figured out) to keep
the whole shee-bang taught.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT