Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L questions
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:07:17 -0700
From: <K4BEV@aol.com>
:

> Use a  continuous loop of UV resistant rope through the pulley. With a
> pulley
> at  ground level you can use the loop splice point to attach your L or
> whatever  you choose,

While conceptual a neat method, it doesn't work--at least for me.

One reason is that it is difficult or impossible to get the antenna
connection to clear the limbs on its way to the top.  A second reason is
that if the rope lope is not really taught when installed, the rope loop
will twist and cannot hoist the antenna connection.  Instead I cut the rope
extra long so that the two ends are far apart when raising the antenna and
also so that the antenna and its connection can be brought way out to clear
the tree limbs while be raised. My trees are 100/120' fir with plenty of
limbs to obstruct raising the antenna.

Also there has been some discussion of whether the antenna wire being close
to the tree will transfer some of the signal into the tree trunk if it is
close to the tree.  I put a closed metal ring (about 2" available at
hardware/boat stores) in series with the rope loop and then run the antenna
wire through the metal ring and hoist the ring (antenna wire) up to the top.
In this way the vertical part of the antenna can be put at some distance
from the tree trunk.  Instead of connecting the two ends of the rope loop I
tie the ground end to something on the bottom ground level and coil the
excess rope up.

k7puc