Re: [TowerTalk] Wasps and tower climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wasps and tower climbing
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 23:53:14 -0400
I just came in the shop from checking.

I've been using two main types, Spectracide and Ortho, both of which are
foaming and both advertise they shoot 20 feet.  Both are almost
instantaneous, but "for me" the Spectracide is a tad faster, a little bit
thinner and when it gets pretty warm outside I find the Ortho I've used
foams too much. Also the Specracide tends to leave the liquid residue a
little longer, but don't appear to damage paint or other finishes.
Both are about the same price at $3.00 (give or take 50 cents) for a large
can.  I purchase the stuff by the case or armload...which ever is handier.

Now is the time of year when those obnoxious little Japanese beetles that
look like Lady bugs and are often mistaken for them are hunting for a warm
spot to winter. The big difference between them and ladybugs is the beetles
bite! Also it's time for the Box Elder bugs to swarm.

Get a nice sunshiny day and the south side of my shop will be covered with
thousands of the beetles and Box Elder bugs. I spray them too.

The beetles will get inside the shop and form "clumps" back in protected
corners, or up in the ceilings.  If you go after them with a vacuum it
better be a big shop vac as the little canisters would never even hold one
clump.

Last winter I left the big airconditioner in place and covered it.  Not this
year.  That sucker is coming inside and will be left on top of the shelving
by the window.  There were thousands of those beetles that got around it and
it ended up blocked with cotton wood fuzz at the beginning of the season.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com