Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:18:33 EDT

Also pretty hard on the underwear as well! Love those pull down  cables--

73/K5GW

In a message dated 10/15/2006 1:59:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
dhearn@air-pipe.com writes:

Crank up  towers using manual winches do not like to lower when strong winds
are  blowing. The weight of the sections is not great enough to overcome  the
binding forces between sections. Most if not all motor driven winch  towers
use power pull down cables to help retract them. It is a very scary  thing
when you are lowering your crank up and the wind force causes one or  more
sections to stick. The cable goes slack until the wind lets up then  down the
sections come with a thump. Mighty hard on the cables.
73. Dan,  N5AR