Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Receive Antenna

To: "John Wagner" <jwagner@dxengineering.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Receive Antenna
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:43:41 -0800 (PST)
>> I am not bothered by local noise on the receive antennas as
>> they are several thousand feet from any houses or power
>> lines, but of course atmospheric noise can come from all over.

On 160 meters, several thousand feet is only a handfull of
wavelengths.  I can show you plenty of locations several
thousand feet from anything that have lots of power line noise.
My own vertical is over 1000 feet from anything and it is
unusable on receive on 160 meters.

>> Andrei, RA6LBS, said that he can switch his Beverages between
>> 1000' and 500' and notices a dramatic difference between the
>> two settings. I have used short Beverages in the past and
>> found them pretty good, so I think I will go that way,

As they say YMMV.  At my high ground conductivity QTH, anything
over 400 feet in a Beverage is a waste of wire, confirmed by
A/B testing and also observing current antenuation vs distance.
That doesn't mean my 400 ft beverage is as good as RA6LBS's 1000
ft beverage.  It just means my 400 ft beverage is as good as
my 1000 ft beverage.  Which is useful, but not all that great.

Rick N6RK