Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:38:52 -0500
K7LXC wrote:

> Wow, that's sure different than my findings. I did the same thing with a
recently calibrated Dillon several years ago for my tower column in CQ
Contest magazine and they were within a couple of percent of each other.

It might depend on what size cable you measured, how far up the scale you
went and which model Loos you used. My readings apply strictly to 1/4" EHS
measured with the PT-2.

But the reason I used the Dillon is that there was a Tower Talk thread on
this subject a while back in which several people said they conducted
similar experiments and found that the Loos gauge readings varied depending
on the type of cable material. The Loos depends on flexing the cable and is
calibrated for only one kind of material: stainless steel marine cable. EHS
has different bending characteristics, and this affects the readings enough
to make a difference. As I recall, W8JI was involved in the discussion.

73, Dick WC1M