Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires

To: wc1m@msn.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:58:01 EST

In a message dated 11/14/2006 4:39:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
wc1m@msn.com writes:

>> Wow, that's sure different  than my findings. I did the same thing with a
recently calibrated Dillon  several years ago for my tower column in CQ
Contest magazine and  they were within a couple of percent of each other.

>  It might depend on what size  cable you measured, how far up the scale you
went and which model Loos  you used. My readings apply strictly to 1/4" EHS
measured with the PT-2.

>  But the reason I used the  Dillon is that there was a Tower Talk thread on
this subject a while back in  which several people said they conducted
similar experiments and found that  the Loos gauge readings varied depending on
the
type of cable material. The  Loos depends on flexing the cable and is
calibrated for only one kind of  material: stainless steel marine cable. EHS
has
different bending  characteristics, and this affects the readings enough to
make a
difference. As  I recall, W8JI was involved in the discussion.

    Well, when you  tension any wire rope it becomes more rod-like, so as far
as the Loos goes, it  can't tell the difference what you're measuring. My
calibration experiment  took 3/16" EHS, 3/16" galvanized 7x19 and HPTG4000
Phillystran all  connected in one length and tensioned with a recently
calibrated
Dillon gauge  to 400 pounds and they all read the same with the Loos - within a
couple of  percent of the 400#.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC