Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kb9cry@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:23:23 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2006 12:15:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  There is no shelf life to grips if they are stored properly  (dry/shaded
conditions).  And I don't think that the main gripping is  done by the grit in
the inside; it's done by the Chinese finger torture  design.  My belief is
that the three month limit is that once they are  wrapped in place, they
develop
a shape memory and may not provide the same  gripping ability. The grit inside
is just some gravy that is  added.

    Actually the grit provides about 40% of the  gripping power.

    You're right about the 3-month limit. The problem  is that after that
there is too much grit left behind when it's removed that  it loses a bunch of
gripping power.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH