Re: [TowerTalk] Stupid Birds? NO

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stupid Birds? NO
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:14:27 -0600
Having already been admonished once by der admin, I will risk a bogart of
this thread to point out a good thing about birds and towers.

A pair of red-headed woodpeckers apparently uses my tower to communicate.
Last summer on more than one occasion the male was heard making a staccato
sound on the tower at about 70 feet.  It is presumed be was using this as a
signal since there are no bugs to dig out of my steel tower.  Shortly after,
the female appeared, landing on a rung about 10 feet below.  Then the male
flew off to a nearby tree.  The female followed after a few minutes.  With
all due respect, the observation ended at this point.

73, Keith NM5G