Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:06:58 -0600
-----Original Message-----

Is there any way to tell when the ICE or Polyphaser arrestors need to
be replaced due to taking too many lightning hits?  Any way to tell
if/when your tower has taken a hit?

This is what Jay, WX0B, told me when I asked the question about ICE.  He
also sent a schematic, but I don't think the reflector permits attachments.

I opened up my arrestors and saw no damage despite taking hits.

Jim N7US

How can one tell if used ICE coax arrestors or 8-conductor control cable
arrestors are still good?

WX0B:
Take it apart and look to see the MOVs and caps are not burned or blown up.
Check continuity to ground. It should have a very high impedance.  DC
continuity on the center conductor of the coax arrestors?  DC continuity of
the control cable arrestors?  SWR connected to a dummy load for the coax
arrestors?

Again take it apart, and you will see a blocking capacitor, static bleed
incuctor, gas tube discharge device and a resistor.  A schematic is
attached.  Check these components by inspection and ohm meter.  The coil can
be disconnected to test the gas tube.  A VSWR check is a good idea with a
dummy load to finish it.

Parts are available from ICE at 800 423 2666.

Rgds,
Jay

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
972 203 2008
Military Communications Systems, Phased Arrays, RF Switches, Antennas &
Towers
http://www.arraysolutions.com