Re: [TowerTalk] masts.

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <Eroddy4366@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] masts.
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:13:18 -0400
I use 21' of 1020DOM  1/4" wall steel tube for 2 towers. However on another
I have a 15' length of galvanized fence pipe. I believe it is called
Schedule 40+ and it has supported a 3 el 20M monobander, a 38' boom 8 el 6M
yagi at the top and a  28' boom 432 yagi in the middle. It is not cast iron
and is both strong and light and cheap when I bought it 15 years ago. Never
a problem here on this exposed hilltop rock pile.

At a former QTH with less wind exposure I had a 20/15/10 stack of W2PV 4el
monobanders on 20' of 2 3/8 OD galvanized cast pipe. Except for eating
rotators (Daiwa and Create even using 2 thrust bearings) it survived just
fine thru many northeasters, CAT 2 & 3 hurricanes and ice storms while on
100' of 25G.
Im sure that there are many parts of the country that cast pipe would fail
but dont discount it altogether.

Carl
KM1H