Re: [TowerTalk] masts.

To: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>, <K7LXC@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, <Eroddy4366@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] masts.
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:55:31 -0400
There are several grades of fence posts; the cheap stuff is Schedule 15 and
other choices go up to 83,000 psi yield strength.

The 2"  (1.9" OD) 40+ that I use has a yield of 50,000 psi and a bending
moment of 14050 lb". Going up to the 2 3/8" OD bumps the bending moment to
24405 lb". Pretty healthy specs IMO and a good choice when DOM or chrome
moly isnt required. And since it is produced in huge quantities the cost is
fairly low.

Schedule 15 of similar 1.9" OD has a bending moment of 9100 lb". The next
size smaller  is only 6830 lb".

Id warrant a guess that hardware/box store import fencing is far less.

I found the specs on the following URL, it covers a wide range of pipe and
tubing.   www.wheatland.com

Carl
KM1H

Carl