Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question

To: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower design question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:52:27 -0400

>I thought this was an interesting question, but no one tackled it except
> for one guy who said that's the way it's done.  So is that really the
> reason?

I saw one answer that said that is *not* the way it is done.
I have never seen a tower designed the way you describe. They are all the
other way around. The larger tube or bell on on the upper section and sets
down *over* the lower.  Small end should always point up with the next
section setting down *over* it.

That will still not keep water out of the legs except for rain.  Atmospheric
pressure changes be they barometric changes or due to temperature changes
will cause water to condense inside the tower legs which is the reason for
the bottom section setting in pea gravel or sand below the frost level so it
can drain.

Roger (K8RI)