Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations
From: "Steve W2ML" <adam77@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:49:09 -0400
> Roger K8RI)
>
> I wonder, if properly approached, stadium management would allow
hams/contesters
> to set up semi permanent, or perhaps permanent towers/antennas or to use
existing
> tall structures at the stadiums for antennas and contest operations?

If you are talking about stadia that host the NFL or other professional
sports,
keep in mind that 70,000 - 90,000 people are there for sporting events on
the
same weekends that contests are held.

I passed this concept past the people who run Giants stadium at the
Meadowlands in
New Jersey and host 5 professional sports teams during the year.  They
thought
I was joking.

College stadia may be a possibility, but they, too, make a great deal of
money on
football during the fall contest season.

While the towers and lighting grids look wonderful for ham antennas, if it
doesn't
make money for the venue, the chance of getting in to use the place for
contesting
rests solely on the coincidence of a ham being in a management or key
position at
the venue.

Many places I visited, when I was traveling with Monday Night Football,
would have
made wonderful anchors for long wires/dipoles, but all the hams on the crew
could
do was dream about it.

Of course, TowerTalk rule #1 applies here.... YMMV.

-73- Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML
President, North Jersey DX Association
Game Day Frequency Coordinator, New York Jets