Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations

To: "'Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield'" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 08:18:06 -0500
Interesting idea. (Speaking only of college stadiums.) I bet it would cost a
lot to take one of those things down. You would probably have to hire a
really really big crane! I had originally thought of using the light
standards to get our long wires higher for field day but was told to forget
using them. I had thought about using a bow and arrow from the top of
seating area in the stadium to shoot a small rope over the lights. I was
told that the "aiming of those lights was a big deal and if I screwed it up
I would have to pay to get it "re-aimed". I think there is supposed to be a
certain number of candlepower of light on the field so the players can see.

Actually, most college stadiums sit empty most of the time at night...even
the really big ones. Most games are scheduled during the days so that they
don't have to turn on those lights. I believe that those lights seriously
cut into their profits.

High school stadiums, on the other hand are used frequently at night during
the school year. This requires some forethought but Field Day is in June and
few schools are using these facilities during June, in fact many districts
are shut down for a couple of weeks during this time.

In the past few years there have been some court cases that require school
districts to give equal access to facilities to everyone if access is given
to anyone. Unfortunately, this has forced public school districts to be VERY
careful about how they let facilities be used. If your local school board
gets involved, you can probably expect to be turned down.

It sounded good!
Bill W5VX