Re: [TowerTalk] help with interference problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] help with interference problems
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:48:45 -0400

> My Internet link is a 5.6GHz radio at the 100' level on the tower with an
> 11
> mile shot to the ISP. I come down the tower with shielded CAT5 to the
> router
> in a trailer at the base of the tower; this is run with about 8 turns thru
> FT240-43 toroid . Then a 250' run of regular CAT5 to the house and a 8
> port

Lordy...I'm running a gigabit network through 130' of CAT5e parallel to and
within about 5 to 10 feet of all the coax runs to the tower. (75 to 90 feet)
It then runs under the 75 half wave sloper to the shop. I found that even a
metal staple used to loosely hold the cable created enough inductance to
screw up the network.  It won't work in metal conduit either.  I'd hate to
think what'd happen with several turns on a toroid.

The coax to the modem, the CAT5e to the router, and the 5 runs to the switch
all are bundled with the cables behind the rigs where I run the legal limit
160 through 10. The 756 Pro and Alpha 76A are about 4 feet from the actual
modem, router, and 5 port switch. The little Yaesu 897D with the Henry 2K4
and 2002A are within about 4 or 5 feet of the computer in the shop.  There
are 5 external drives on that computer. A second computer in the shop sets
against the side of the 2K4 and is connected to one of the Gigabit ports on
the network computer out there. That shot CAT5e cable lays on the coax
cables behind the rigs. No toroids, no filters, and no physical seperation.
neither the station in the shop or here, bother the network and I hear no
trace of the network in either station.

Of course this could be like the contest station I had in Breckenridge many
years ago. I had seperate stations and antennas on each band. The stations
could be switched between antennas which were monoband KLMs on 20 and 15
with a 39 foot long 7 L Wilson on 10.  I ran cophased verticals on 40, an
inverted V on 75, and a *droopy dipole on 160.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boatanch.htm shows some of the
stations at Breckenridge and a portion of the current set up  which is a bit
out of date.  At any rate the cables behind that big desk were a mess so I
took one whole afternoon to reroute end even cut to lenght every thing
behind that desk so it was nice and neat and most of you have already
guessed, "nothing seemed to work right and every thing interacted.  It took
a month of playing around before I got it to work right again.

Roger (K8RI)