Re: [TowerTalk] help with interference problems

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] help with interference problems
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:35:21 -0400
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:48 AM

>> My Internet link is a 5.6GHz radio at the 100' level on the tower with an
>> 11
>> mile shot to the ISP. I come down the tower with shielded CAT5 to the
>> router
>> in a trailer at the base of the tower; this is run with about 8 turns
>> thru
>> FT240-43 toroid . Then a 250' run of regular CAT5 to the house and a 8
>> port
>
> Lordy...I'm running a gigabit network through 130' of CAT5e parallel to
> and
> within about 5 to 10 feet of all the coax runs to the tower. (75 to 90
> feet)
> It then runs under the 75 half wave sloper to the shop. I found that even
> metal staple used to loosely hold the cable created enough inductance to
> screw up the network.  It won't work in metal conduit either.  I'd hate to
> think what'd happen with several turns on a toroid.

Absolutely nothing. My ISP has a program where I can loop a large file to
test. If I tape the Cat5e to the 250' run of cables back to the house the
rate drops down to dial up speeds. If I use loose tie wraps and suspend
about 1/2" from the bundle Im at full speed. This indicates that the next
time I'll use shielded cable since that run is securely mounted to the tower
cable bundle.

Carl
KM1H