Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite beads for common mode current

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite beads for common mode current
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:02:41 +0100
jeremy-ca wrote:
>By going from the conventional to the crossover method I was able to
>get a G5RV to cooperate that I was using at the summer cottage decades
>ago. No amount of twidling of the conventional turns worked.
>At that time and a few hundred miles from the test equipment at work I
>was more interested in getting on the air than the whys. Obviously I
>had found a "sweet" spot.

That can easily  happen, as the equivalent lumped capacitance is only a
few pF so the resonant frequency is extremely sensitive to small
variations in strays. Even a twisted-wire 'gimmick' capacitor connected
end-to-end to the outside of the shield can move the resonance by a few
MHz at 20MHz.

If I desperately wanted to trim the resonance to some exact frequency,
the best way would probably be a gimmick cap with a GDO. However, the
peak is usually large enough and broad enough to make that degree of
refinement unnecessary.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK