Re: [TowerTalk] Details on shunt feeding tower for 160?

To: "Barry" <w2up3@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Details on shunt feeding tower for 160?
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 14:26:16 -0400
Barry, Ive built a few shunt feeds over the years and studied the BC band
ways of doing it.

Look at the shunt arm as a gamma rod on a yagi. It has to be of some
diameter and spacing ratio relationship to the tower itself. Anything will
work after a fashion, from a #12 wire to a  4 wire cage surrounding the
tower. The AM broadcasters use 3 and 4 wire

 In my case the first attempt was with #12 and 100' of 25G with a 4PV
Christmas tree and had a 60 KHz bandwidth. At 800W The series capacitor
arced and that was with 3500V spacing.

I then used 3/4" CATV hardline secured and spaced 18" from the tower by 3/4"
PVC and T fittings. It worked very well and the Bw was 120 KHz and the
series capacitor arced at 1200W only when I was at the BW extremes and it
was raining out. The capacitors were in a box shielded from the weather but
not the moisture.

The final arrangement was a 2 wire cage of the hardline, one off each leg.
BW was now well over 200 KHz and no more arcing. I didnt want to have to
resort to vacuum variables and motor driven tuning as that takes too much
time in a contest.

There are some tower heights and shunt height/spacing that will generate
huge voltages at the feed. I dont know if anyone has compiled info on that.

I believe that my shunt rod length was 60'. The feed network was an Omega
match.

Carl
KM1H