Re: [TowerTalk] Come-along recommendation needed

To: "Andy" <k1afc@k1afc.net>, "Bill Cotter" <n4lg@qx.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Come-along recommendation needed
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:29:16 -0400
I own several comealongs as I use them for a variety of projects, tower and
non tower related.

My advice is to buy American if possible. I  have one I bought over 30 years
ago and it is still in excellent condition. Price would probably be over $75
these days. This is the one Ive used for lifting 20-22' 1/4" wall steel
masts all those years.

Ive bought and trashed several imports over the years but the Chinese
quality has greatly improved. I have a regular 2 ton and a pair of 3 hook 4
ton ones that have served me well for 4-5 years. The cables show no signs of
strand breakage, the mechanism works well and overall material quality is
very good. I havent stressed them anywhere near their full ratings so cant
comment on that part; in the past they would fail at half their rating or
less. If buying an import go to a store you trust.

Carl
KM1H