[TowerTalk] Come-along recommendation Lug-All

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Come-along recommendation Lug-All
From: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:42:51 -0400
Jim,

The problem I have encountered with the cheap (imported) units is
the ease-of-use and safety factors. It seems to me that the ones I
have tend to be difficult to manage with one hand or using gloves.
I really don't like all the fumbling with sticky latches, snagging
cable pay-out, and binding of parts because of slop in machining.

What I got at Harbor Freight was of a quality expected at the low
price.

Special thanks to Kimo Chun, KH7U for the lead on a 1,500lb
capacity unit from Lug-All. This unit appears to be a well built
unit with close tolerances and repairable. Their site is:
http://www.lug-all.com

73 bill n4lg

At 03:18 PM 8/9/2007, you wrote:
>I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Your run-of-the-mill "Typical"
>come-alongs are rated at 4000 pounds and start at about $20
>depending on
>what color you want.  I have seen "new" ones that use something
>other than
>the steel cable they all used to use so I do not know about them.  I'm
>talking about the two hanging in my garage and the two I sold a
>few years
>ago.  Don't know if the rating if "guaranteed", but you wouldn't
>be using it
>at anything even close to that.
>
>73, Jim
>
> > On 8/9/07, Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net> wrote:
> >

> > > I would like to purchase a come-along for the lifting a 22ft
> cr/mo
> > > mast (loaded with antennas: 250lbs+) inside the top sections of
> > > Rohn-45. After attempting to search the reflector archives
> without
> > > any luck, I figure this topic had been discussed sometime in the
> > > past. I would appreciate suggestions for a high quality come
> along
> > > for this task.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> > >
> > > 73 bill n4lg

Bill Cotter, N4LG             E-mail: n4alg@qx.net
173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (859) 887-5563
Nicholasville, KY 40356-9340   Work: (859) 323-6474

ARRL   ARCI #9878   QRPl #1646   QCWA #29393   FISTS #4535