Re: [TowerTalk] Using Rohn 65G

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Rohn 65G
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 01:02:58 -0500
At 00:28 16-10-07, W7CE wrote:

> > Necessity is the mother of invention.  I brought out 90 feet of Rohn  65
> > KH6 and faced the same problem.  Solution......I took the bottom  section
> > (the
> > one that is tapered) and had a weld shop cut out holes for the  thrust
> > bearing
> > and the holes to mount it.  Since 65 is the same  whether it's right side
> > up
> > or upside down, I simply used the bottom tapered  section for the top.
> > All
> > that is left is to fabricate a rotor plate...easy  enough to do.  I hope
> > this
> > helps.
> >

>Rohn doesn't recommend using the bottom tapered section for a top.  Take a
>look at Drawing C630665, in the 2004 Revised Rohn Catalog.  There are two
>notes on the drawing as follows:
>
>"All sections can be installed with either end up, exept for 65TG Section."
>
>"7/16" dia. drain hole is provided just above the weld (typ. at top and
>bottom of each leg) on each section, except the 65TG section which has holes
>at the bottom only."
>
>Rohn obviously considers the tapered section to be a bottom section only.

Sounds like three little 7/16" holes need to be drilled and then painted with
Galvanize Spray paint -- spayed or applied with cotton swabs.

Or if you really want to get serious than use a gas torch and some
Duz-All (acid)
flux and hot dip "galvanize" the new holes with plumbers solder.

Freezing is rarely an issue in south Texas anyway, but better safe than sorry.

Just wish I had some Rohn 65!

73  John  W0UN