Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

To: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:24:33 -0700
HFTA is a terrific program but it has a known error when analyzing
stacked antennas. It gives you good guidance for deciding the heights of
stacked antennas to optimize the pattern for your particular terrain,
but it exaggerates the combined gain for close spacings. The following
paragraph is taken directly from the Help file that accompanies HFTA.

"The internal Yagi model in HFTA is a simple mathematical model. It does
not compute interactions between individual Yagis in a stack—HFTA
assumes that each antenna is a “point source.” For antennas stacked more
than about a half wavelength apart this is not a problem. For example,
you should be cautious specifying spacings less than about 20 feet on 20
meters (and proportionately scaled on other bands) because of
mutual-coupling effects between real antennas."

Personally, I think 30 feet spacing is as low as I would go for
tribanders, especially if I had the ability to select top/bottom/both.

73,
Dave AB7E