Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance
From: Larry DiGioia N8KU <towertalk@longwire.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:35:56 -0500
OK, you guys are starting to worry me.

I just bought 4 more sections of Rohn 45 to get my 70-footer up to 110'
in preparation for putting up my dream antenna - an M2 10-30LP8 Log
Periodic. 115' seemed like a good height for this antenna, is it
actually possible this is TOO high?

My only goal is WAZ on 30 through 10m. I am not a contester.

Larry N8KU

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/19/2008 4:15:10 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
> gdslagel@yahoo.com writes:
>

> I've  been using the HFTA software to try and get an
> idea of the optimum distance  to stack a couple yagis
> for best performance.  I'm stacking  10/15/20
> tribanders for increased performance.  I was  really
> surprised that on most bands the optimum performance
> seems to be  with them separated by only about 10'...
> for instance 65' and 56'!  I  expected it to be more
> like 20' to 30'!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> There is a caveat somewhere about this from N6BV.  It is something
> like...when using very close spacing (like 10 feet) for HF antennas, the HFTA
>  program
> by N6BV will give false results.
>
> If your top antenna height is going to be 65 feet, it would be in your best
> interest to have the other at 32 feet if you are going to operate all  bands.
>
> It is a little too close for 20 but should do well on 15 and  10...assuming
> you are running a garden variety tribander of normal boom  length.
>
> The HFTA is a wonderful tool if used with caution.  Out here in a  VERY
> mountainous terrain N6BV's program was invaluable in designing my  stacks.  I
> wanted to stack three KT36XAs but I found that with my terrain  anything
> higher
> than 90 feet was a total dud for 20 through 10 meters.  The  result will be
> 90/56/29.  But, that was an optimization for my QTH.
>
> I too was amazed with how much gain I could achieve with spacing of 10  feet,
> until I read the instructions for HFTA.  Generally you will need  a minimum
> of .5 wavelength for the stacks to start to play and from what I've  read,
> .65-.75 plays about the best.  Of course this depends on boom  length.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Bill KH7XS/K4XS
>

> **************Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.

Larry  N8KU