Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower
From: "Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr." <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:04:32 -0600
My Rohn self supporting tower uses bolts for the base with nuts both
below and above the first section footpads that allow alignment.  I
used a transit to plumb the tower and was very surprised to discover
that the four sections were like spaghetti as I cited from the bottom
to the top. I had to compromise the vertically of the tower with
obvious emphasis on the top section wrt to the bottom section.  I was
also surprised to discover how easy it was to move the nuts on the
foundation bolts since the tower must weight about 2500 pounds.

If your foundation consists of a tower section embedded in cocreate,
I suspect the best you can do is use a bubble level that spans the
foundation section and insure the connection points for the first
section are level with each other.  The form for the foundation
should constrain the foundation section from movement as the cement
is poured.  Check out the Rohn catalog for some good engineering
diagrams of foundation forms.

Ken Goodwin, K5RG
krgoodwin@comcast.net