Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a tower
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:34:56 -0500
At 04:28 PM 1/22/2008, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/22/2008 6:56:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
> >  When I put up my 97-foot Rohn 25 tower on a pier pin base (my first and
>only experience of this kind), the experienced tower builders who were
>helping me said absolutely nothing about plumbing the tower with any kind
>of instrument.  When it was up and all three guy sets were installed, one
>guy stood at the base looking up the tower while 3 others adjusted the
>turnbuckles at the guy anchors to get it approximately straight and
>vertical.  Once it looked OK, each one tightened his turnbuckle by the same
>number of turns until the guy tension (measured with a Loos Gauge) was
>correct.
>
> >  I am wondering how important all this emphasis on precision really is?
>
>     Well, the vertical tolerance spec per the TIA-222 is 3" per hundred
> feet. Some people are just more particular than others.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve    K7LXC
>TOWER TECH

Frankly, specs like that strike me as implausible, or - perhaps worse -
intended to give the tower manufacturer an "out" in any failure.  For
example, with Rohn 25, the guy spacing is approximately 30 feet, or 3
sections.  I don't even see how you would go about getting a 3" bow out of
the run between guys.

73, Pete N4ZR