Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft R5 sealing of the traps, What sealant

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft R5 sealing of the traps, What sealant
From: "Jeff Carter" <towertalk@hidden-valley.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:09:09 -0400
Sure!

The very first hit on Google- http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/
is as good an example as any, I guess.

Just at random, to illustrate the point, I put "Rip Wrap 45 pcs" in
the Shopping Cart, and hit Checkout.  The cost was $6.95, and when I
entered my Zip Code, it quoted UPS Ground Shipping at $8.51.  If
you're like me, and in no hurry, you can choose Snail Mail and that
cost $2.84 for this same shipment, a far cry from the $15 that could
buy you something else out of their stock if you just must spend $15
somewhere.

It reminds me of how so many folks on eBay are charging S&H prices
that are way out of line with reality, and it amounts to price
gouging, plain and simple.  The best thing to do, I think, is to
ignore these vendors and make them change their ways or be forced out
of business.

I actually have ordered from these people (Cable Organizer) and was
quite satisfied both at the quality of what I was sent and the fact
that they didn't seem to be thieves like more and more organizations
marketing to hobby-ists seem to be these days.  There is a
conversation in another thread about how folks who are marketing to
hams are dishonest a lot of the time, but I find it's pretty much
across the board.  The reason professionals don't encounter this so
much is because they know the difference in what they're buying, and
even they get tripped up sometimes when trying to save a buck or two.

As the grey-haired guys retire and/or die, much of what they knew dies
with them, and the generations that follow are left to fumble in the
dark and pay $15 or more for shipping 2 or 3 ounces, or other such
travesties that spring from not knowing any better.

I don't want anybody to think that any of this is a personal attack on
those who feel it's their God-given right to spend too much for
nothing.  I am a Veteran of the US Military, and I served proudly to
protect *your* right to do things that make absolutely no sense to me
whatsoever.  I'm just glad to be asked to participate in the
conversation here on TowerTalk.

God bless you all,

Jeff/KD4RBG