Re: [TowerTalk] HAM III x HAM IV and others

To: Rob Frohne <rob.frohne@wallawalla.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM III x HAM IV and others
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:51:10 -0400
Rob Frohne wrote:
> Bill, et. al.,
>
> I agree that the Ham series rotors will have problems with big antennas,
> however, if you are on a budget and you know about the modes of failure,
> you can make them work.  Two of the rules I now go by are:
>
> 1)  Never let the antenna coast to a stop anywhere near the rotation
> ends (usually south).  In fact, don't turn it close to due south.  If
> your beam is large, it has a big moment of inertia, and it will damage
> the stop mechanism.

Having used to old Ham series on antennas as large as full size KLM 5L
20 meter and 6 L 15 meter antennas (42 foot booms) I'd add
two points:  Don't use the rotator when the wind is strong.

If necessary (as a last resort) use the motor to stop/slowdown one if
you discover the wind is causing it to turn or even accelerate when the
brake is released.  Although hard on the motor, it can handle this sort
of thing on an intermittent basis and do so much better than the brake
or stops.  Just don't do it often, or for more than a couple of
seconds.  IE. Hit reverse and then engage the brake. Even a momentary
pause will allow the brake to engage without tearing things up.

73

Roger (K8RI)