Re: [TowerTalk] Removing a Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Removing a Rotator
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@longlines.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:43:43 -0500
I am not sure that those who have replied here are thinking of doing
this with the tower tilted over. The method here would probably work
that way, but it would probably be prudent to also prop up the mast
with a step ladder of some kind of A-frame.

At 09:11 PM 6/11/2008, N3XX - Tim Heger wrote:
>To hold the mast in place while replacing the rotator, I use three flat
>steel bars about 1 foot long.  I drilled holes for U-bolts on each end of
>each bar, spaced so that one U-bolt clamps to the mast, and the other clamps
>to the tower leg.  All three bars are clamped to the mast just above the
>rotator.  The other ends of the bars go to the three tower legs, and are
>clamped there.  This has always worked well here, no sideways movement of
>the mast, and the thrust bearing holds the vertical pressure.
>
>GL & 73,
>Tim - N3XX

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.