[TowerTalk] Grounding tower guy wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding tower guy wires
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:53:08 -0400
I know everyone must be really tired of questions about grounding, but
I'll blunder forth and ask anyway...

One of my towers took a direct lightning hit recently and I did NOT have
adequate protection! So now I'm in the planning stages of a proper
lightning ground for my towers. I've been doing some homework but have a
couple questions about stuff I haven't yet seen spelled out anywhere.

I am planning to run copper strap radials out from each tower leg with 8
foot ground rods every 16 feet. My question is about grounding the guy
wires, which are all 3/16" or 1/4" EHS.

I am assuming it is appropriate to connect the guy grounds into the
radials coming from the tower? That is, so it is all one ground system
and not a separate ground for each guy anchor point.

Is #4 or #6 wire adequate, or do I really need copper strap for
grounding the guys?

Obviously we don't want copper in direct contact with EHS, so what is a
recommended method of attaching to the guys?

I have read all the tech notes on the Polyphaser web site and some
others, but did not see specific answers to these questions. I also
searched the Towertalk archives before asking and came up with nil on
these points. My apologies if the answers are right in front of me and I
just managed to not find them.

73,
Paul N1BUG