Re: [TowerTalk] [Force 12 Talk] Antennas and power lines don't mix

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Force 12 Talk] Antennas and power lines don't mix
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:15:35 +0000
Why in the world would one put up an antenna/tower that close to a power
line. (Hello, Darwin .....).

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> From: K7LXC@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:31:56 -0400> To:
> towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: [TowerTalk] [Force 12 Talk] Antennas and
> power lines don't mix> > From: "ni0c" <ni0c@earthlink.net>> Subject: [Force
> 12 Talk] Antennas and power lines don't mix> > > This past Sunday, July 5, I
> could have become> a silent key and my nice ham station could have> gone up
> in smoke. I was extremely lucky! > > I had reconfigured my Force 12 Sigma
> 40XK antenna,> changing bands from 30m to 20m, and was in the > process of
> putting it up again when I brushed the top> T bar against the HV line that
> crosses the utility> easement at the back of my property. I heard what>
> sounded like a shotgun blast, and knew instantly what> had happened, and that
> my life had been spared.> > The center insulator of the Sigma 40XK is what
> saved> my life, and my outdoor MFJ4712 relay box saved my > station. The
> explosion was the top of the MFJ box, which > disappeared, while a hole
> approx. 3/8" in diameter
 was> melted in the top T bar of the antenna.> > I could write lots more about
all my thoughts since this> incident, but the most important thing is a warning
to> my fellow hams-- be careful!> > 73,> Chuck Guenther NI0C> > > >
**************Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music >
scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com! >
(http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)>