Re: [TowerTalk] TIC RING

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC RING
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:38:06 -0400
I have three model 1022E TIC rings on my 110' Rohn 55 tower, each with a
4-el SteppIR. The rings were purchased in the Summer of 2006.

Note that the standard 1022E ring doesn't fit on Rohn 55 unless you use the
special adapter plate kits supplied by TICGEN. Three adapter kits (one for
each leg of the tower) are included in the price, but you must specifically
order them or you won't get them.

I agree that you should assemble a ring at the base of the tower to
familiarize yourself with how they go together before attempting to assemble
at height. It's a pretty straightforward process, but it's best to practice
first. I had a real hard time figuring out how the Rohn 55 adapter plates go
on, and spent quite a bit of time on the ground working out the solution. As
it turns out, I probably didn't do it right, but what I did seems to be
working and holding up well.

I didn't compensate for the elliptical shape issue described by someone
else, but I did have someone turn each rotor from the shack so I could
verify that the motor stays engaged throughout the 360-degree travel. It's
possible that the newer motors (see below), which mount differently, don't
have the contact problem.

K1DG reported problems with mounting bolts loosening up, and added stainless
lock washers to all the bolts (the stock bolts use flange nuts.) I believe
K3LR, who has something like 17 TIC rings, recommends adding lock washers.
So far, I haven't had any problems with bolts loosening up, so I haven't
added lock washers.

K1DG also reported issues with one ring not turning correctly due to the
antenna load not being balanced. This may be due to the combination of the
SteppIR and TIC ring: you have to offset the antenna boom strut from center
due to the TIC cradle design. He added weights to compensate. I believe TIC
has a special adapter plate for the cradle that lets you put the strut in
the center, and K7IR welded up a version of his own. So far, I haven't had
problems with imbalance.

I have a friend with a much older model of the same ring, and he's had
ongoing problems with the pot, which we think are due to moisture seeping
in. Every time the temperature falls below freezing, the pot stops moving,
even though the motor continues to move. This is a very bad situation,
because the ring has no physical limits or limit switches, so it freewheels
and destroys the coax and/or antenna. Once the temperature warms up, the pot
moves and readings return to normal. I've taken that darned motor down a
half-dozen times and we've replaced the pot, added waterproofing, etc., and
it still happens. We're beginning to suspect something wrong in the cabling
or connectors, but don't have any evidence yet. However, I've heard numerous
stories of people having problems with pots on the older motors.

My rings came with an updated motor, which is much heavier duty and mounts
differently. I haven't done any weatherproofing on the motor beyond what TIC
does, and so far I haven't had problems. Hopefully, the new design is more
resistant to weather problems. That said, with three rings I decided to buy
a spare motor and keep it on the shelf.

I strongly recommend the Green Heron controllers. I have them on all three
of my TIC rings. The GH works flawlessly with the TIC rings, and there are
many adjustable parameters. I especially like the ramp up/down feature,
which saves wear and tear on the tower, motor, rings, etc. Accuracy has been
outstanding over a long period of time. The GH has several safety features
that turn off the motor if no movement is detected. That would have saved my
friend much damage and heartache. The stock TIC controller doesn't have any
of these features. I've heard rumors that the stock controller is
unreliable.

Climbing over TIC rings can be challenging. When I first started doing it, I
would clip my fall-arrest lanyard above the ring, then haul myself up until
I could put a knee on the ring. Then I would move the fall-arrest lanyard
higher so I could stand on the ring. Seems to be no problem doing that (my
weight has ranged from 165-175 since I've had the rings.) After doing it
that way for several months, and cursing every time I had to climb over a
ring (three to get to the top of my tower!), I figured out a better way.

It's a little hard to describe, but basically I climb the tower like it's a
ladder, but bend deeply at the waist around the ring. First, I clip one of
the  hooks on my fall-arrest Y-lanyard to the tower cross-brace directly
above the ring. Then I grab the next cross-brace up with both hands, bend at
the waist, and move my feet up one cross-brace. At this point, I'm bent
around the ring at the waist. I hold on to the cross-brace with one hand,
clip the other hook of my Y-lanyard to a cross-brace above my head, then
release the other hook. Then I re-grab the cross-brace with both hands, bend
at the waist, bring one foot up to the ring, then bring the other foot up to
the ring. As this is happening, I grab the next higher cross-brace with one
hand, then the other. Again, it's the same hand-over hand movement you'd use
to climb a ladder. At that point, I'm standing on the ring and all is well.
Pushing your butt way out from the tower is a little unnerving the first
time you do it, but you can get used to it.

Hope this is helpful.

73, Dick WC1M