Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?

To: Dan Hearn <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:55:40 -0700
Dan Hearn wrote:
> Did you ever stop to think that the usual tri band trapped beam uses
> a single coax feed for all bands and to get a 50 ohm feed point
> impedance it is necessary to detune the elements from their best
> length for gain or f/b. In addition, the element spacing is the same
> for all bands so another compromise there. 73, Dan, N5AR

But how much of a compromise? I think that's what the original question
was getting at.

Let's talk in terms of modern antenna design, so we're not necessarily
talking about designs from the 1960s which were developed with a goodly
amount of cut and try, notwithstanding that they can work well.

I don't think that "detuning" is the right word for trapped elements to
get them to work.  Yes, there will be some changes in resonance,
couplings, and current distributions, and that inevitably will have an
effect on the patterns and feedpoint properties. However, de-tuning has
sort of a negative connotation. I would say "retuning" or just "changes"

And, going into the exercise, one is constrained by the physical size
limitations (i.e. fixed spacing on the boom, and elements).

The real question might be:

Given an overall envelope and mass, is there an important difference in
performance between, say, a 3 element antenna with traps and something
like a Force12, which is basically multiple single band antennas
interleaved on the same boom?

The former is probably going to be lighter (although, the elements on
the F12 are smaller in diameter than the elements on the trapped beam,
because they don't have to support the weight of the trap).

It might be cheaper for the trapped beam:less hardware and aluminum, but
you have to pay for the cost of the traps/loading components.

I suspect that in terms of feedpoint impedance bandwidth, they'd be
comparable: both are essentially arrays of coupled low Q resonators.

The traps might have some additional loss, but inductor Qs of 300 are
easy to get, which implies an awfully low IR loss.  The F12 style beam
couples some nonzero amount of power into the other elements, so there's
some IR loss there.

I'm sure someone has done a nice NEC analysis comparing the two, at
least from a loss standpoint. I'll bet just about anything is less than
10% loss, so even if you halved it to 5%, the forward gain is going to
change a tiny fraction of a dB. You might do better just wrapping the
elements in copper foil.

What WILL be different is the side and back lobe performance. With
multiple elements to play with in the F12 case, there's more variables
and degrees of freedom to work on.  However, will it be an important
difference?  Are you going to go from -20dB F/B to -6dB?  Or is it going
to be a -20dB to -21dB situation.

The difference illustrated below between the TA-33 and the C3XLD may
well be more due to the ability to use those additional degrees of
freedom, rather than due to any elimination of "trap losses".

Intellectually, I like the F12 design approach over the 3 element
trapped approach.  It's cleaner.  And, with modern modeling tools, the
ultimate performance is probably better.