Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?

To: "'jimlux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:58:05 -0400

> I'm sure someone has done a nice NEC analysis comparing the
> two, at least from a loss standpoint. I'll bet just about
> anything is less than 10% loss, so even if you halved it
> to 5%, the forward gain is going to change a tiny fraction
> of a dB. You might do better just wrapping the elements in
> copper foil.

It's rather difficult to do an analysis for more than two
bands due to the various interactions and changing loss
with frequency due to circulating currents, etc.  However,
I believe L.B. Cebik, W4RNL had a fairly good analysis for
a two band trapped yagi on his web site.

Practical measurements using the K7LXC/N0AX protocol tend
to show that the two element per band Force 12 designs tend
to show as much "real world" gain as larger (e.g. TH7DXX
and KT36XA) trapped designs.  The larger "multi-monoband"
designs (e.g., C31XR) will have somewhat higher gain).
The tunable antennas (e.g. SteppIR) will generate higher
gain than any multiband antenna of the same boom length
with a three element SteppIR "real world" gain within
10% of longer boom "multi-monoband" designs (where the
full boom is not used on every band) and the four element
SteppIR showing "real world" gain 50 to 60% higher than
a comparable length "multi-monoband" design.

Analysis of data from several different tests/testers
all using the same protocols indicate a gain deficit
(measured vs. expected) of 1-2 dB for trapped antennas.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV