Re: [TowerTalk] Equalizer Plates

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Equalizer Plates
From: Jerry K <w5kp@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:01:56 -0600
The three-hole equalizer plates supplied by Rohn for my 45G came with
stout stamped steel galvanized jam nuts, no mention of staking. I used
the jam nuts, of course, but added Loctite 262 on the main nuts as well.
and of course figure 8 EHS loops. Seven years later I was able to
disassemble everything undamaged by using very serious torque, but
without using heat. Nothing was loose, the Loktite and the jam nuts both
did their job. For a tower on attended private property I'd pass on
staking, but I would use Loktite 262 and jam nuts of some kind. If the
tower is accessible by the public I'd consider staking things, though,
and in either case I'd definitely use figure 8 EHS through the
turnbuckles and anchors. The anchor points and lower 15' or so of guys
are really the only vulnerable points for vandalism or casual damage.
Jerry W5KP