Re: [TowerTalk] Equalizer Plates

To: Jerry K <w5kp@hughes.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Equalizer Plates
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:37:08 -0500
Almost every bolt for my 45G (except the ones through the legs) came
with spring steel jam/lock nuts.

I've never seen nuts staked more than what you'd do with a center
punch.  That keeps them from turning, yet doesn't ruin the threads so
you can not only get the nut off (although it takes a bit of muscle),
you can reuse both the nut and threaded portion.

If a threaded rod and nut needed to be drilled I'd prefer the
castellated nuts  with a cotter pin rather than drilling the nut and
safety wiring them.

Most any compound will work whether it sets up or is just thick enough
to prevent the nut from loosening by itself. IOW any color LocTite.

73

Roger (K8RI)