[TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:55:41 -0800 (PST)
I'm looking at a 124' 160/80/40 multiband dipole from Hi Power antennas.  Looks
like a good product and reviews on eham are good.  It uses isolation coils
rather then traps.  I'm not familiar with isolation coils and wonder if anyone
has anything good or bad to say about these antennas.  They obviously shorten
the antenna up quite a bit.  I've really got plenty of room for a full size
trap dipole but haven't seen a full size that I liked real well and this
antenna seemed good to me.

Also, I'm planning on 2 antennas 90 degrees from each other.  Should I make
sure and get a balun on the thing so that I get the uniform pattern I'm
expecting?

Thanks for input!

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD