Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:13:23 +0000
To further illustrate what is happening here, I took my "quarter-wave"
dipole example, matched it with a simple L network at 30 MHz (series
4.1uH inductor and shunt 180pF capacitor) and looked at the voltages and
currents around the network at the 1KW level. Assuming lossless matching
components:

Voltage at input of matching network = 224 Volts rms
Current into matching network = 4.47 A rms
Power into matching network = 224*4.47=1KW
Impedance looking into matching network = 224/4.47=50 ohms

Antenna feedpoint impedance = 13-j750
Voltage across antenna terminals = 6,578 Volts rms
Current into antenna terminals = 8.77 A rms
Radiated power = 8.77*8.77*13 = 1KW

Notice that you can't multiply 6,578 Volts by 8.77 A to get the radiated
power, because the voltage and current are almost in phase quadrature at
89 degrees.

Described in simplistic terms, the matching network has transformed the
transmitter voltage to a sufficiently high level to overcome the large
capacitive reactance and force enough current into the antenna to
dissipate 1KW in the 13 ohm radiation resistance.

Whichever way you look at it, for equal radiated power, more current
flows into the shorter antenna!

73,
Steve G3TXQ