Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:49:08 +0000
Jim,

Nope!

[13-j750] is the equivalent SERIES representation of the feedpoint
impedance, so the same 8.7 Amps flows through the resistive part AND the
reactive part; there is no 500 Amps flowing anywhere! The only effect of
the large reactance is to generate (or require) a large voltage across
it as a result of the 8.7 Amps flowing through it.

Here's another totally different real-life example to show that short
antennas generally require higher currents. Take a look at HI-Q Antennas
web page for their HI-Q-5/80 80m mobile whip - I think you would agree
it's a bit shorter than a full size 80m dipole. HI-Q quote it as having
a radiation resistance of 1.1 Ohms and an efficiency of 14% on 80m -
both believable figures.

Now, what's the current flowing into the base of the antenna when we
feed it with 1KW?

Well, it's 14% efficient so it must radiate 140 Watts. To dissipate 140
Watts in a Rrad of 1.1 Ohms requires a current of 11.3 Amps - that's
about 2.5 times the current into a half-wave dipole at the same power.
Need I go on?

73,
Steve G3TXQ