Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:37:23 +0100
Paul,

Firstly, it is presumptuous of you to say that I have not played with
W6EL Prop - I have played plenty!

I'm obviously not getting my point across, so let me try one more time:

Assume that W6EL Prop tells us that 2 propagation paths exist, one at 5
degrees arrival angle and another one, 100dB weaker, at 23 degrees
arrival angle. How much lower will the received signal be on the dipole
compared to the vertical?

According to your figures the answer is that the dipole will be 6.62dB
lower, ****  because at 5 degrees elevation it has a gain of -2.94dBi
compared to the vertical's 3.68dBi. ***** The 23 degree arrival angle is
irrelevant.

To talk about antennas being rifles pointing in different directions is
a misunderstanding of the situation - the elevation responses are simply
not as narrow as this description implies. Using  your own figures
again, the dipole might be "aimed" 23 degrees upwards, but at 5 degrees
it is only 11.3dB less sensitive. More of a blunderbuss than a rifle !!
It's naive to suggest that, because the dipole's peak response is at 23
degrees, it wont hear anything at 5 degrees.

I don't need to be reminded that "higher is not always better" - take a
look at this month's QST magazine!

Steve G3TXQ