Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:35:35 -0400
Hi Jim,

I am moving my station to Maine -- and asked the "QST Doctor" about trees
and antennas back in January 2007.  There is a response in the July 2007 QST
"The Doctor Is In" column.  I also received this correspondence from W3ZZ,
Gene:
------------
Hi Joel and Larry

Everyone appears to have an opinion on this subject but definitive
scientific works are more difficult to find - at least on the Internet. From
a practical observational standpoint, I have found that low band verticals
particularly 80 and 160 do not seem to be bothered by deciduous hardwood
trees. However I used these during contests that occurred mainly in the
colder months though I am reasonably sure that the sap has NOT drained by
the end of October and I never noticed a difference between late October
[leaves have turned but half of them are still ON the trees] and February
[leaves gone and sap drained if it really does drain in MD].

...snip...

The best reference I can give is section 2.3 [on p. 18] in a 1978 paper by
A.G.Longley at the U.S. Dept. of Commerce.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:IEqG7929jj4J:www.its.bldrdoc.gov/pub/ot/ot-78-144/complete_report.pdf+radio+wave+attenuation+trees+HF&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=22

That paper and others that I have found agree that avoid trees entirely is
the best course. Anything at 100 MHz and more is unacceptably attenuated by
trees with non-deciduous pine trees being somewhat worse than deciduous
hardwoods. At HF the effect may be quite a bit less noticable. Verticals at
HF may be more affected but again the difference is only a very few dB more.
Pine trees at HF are worse for the reasons you have already noted.

...snip...

Good luck.

73  Gene  W3ZZ

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ